When I assume of who has provided me with the best male-created playgrounds in my everyday living, I have to credit history Walt Disney and Dave McCoy with providing all the exciting. As a boy who grew up in Southern California, we would check out Disneyland 3-4 situations a year on birthdays and distinctive events with my spouse and children.
As an grownup, I commenced to make the pilgrimage to Mammoth Lakes to ski at the world-famous Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort. I went snowboarding at Mammoth any where from only a several days a season to in excess of 80 days a 12 months a short while ago.
I respect what Dave McCoy and Walt Disney were being ready to complete by pursuing their passion, “Owning entertaining!” The other working day, I was watching a biography on Walt Disney, and it struck me how numerous similarities Walt Disney and Dave McCoy have.
Listed here Are the Similarities that Jumped Out at Me:
1) They equally turned their passion into revenue by creating playgrounds for the masses.
2) Desire for what they supplied grew speedily.
3) They’re respectable, God-fearing, loved ones men backed by loving and supportive Wives.
4) They are probability thinkers who failed to permit other’s disparaging remarks discourage them from accomplishing their dreams. A expressing I acquired from Dave McCoy when I was at his dwelling just lately was, “Difficult just suggests it requires a small for a longer period.”
5) They equally arrived from minimal academic and economic backgrounds.
6) They both had legendary logos – Dave had the Woolly Mammoth, and Walt experienced Mickey Mouse.
7) Both of those guys were being innovators who had to establish and implement new instruments and equipment to make their dreams appear accurate.
8) Both equally men highly impressed a operate power with their eyesight. Humbly, Dave McCoy mentioned to me lately, “Mammoth Mountain wasn’t built by me. It was built by other individuals.” And I countered, “Yea, but you impressed them!”
9) Both of those men realized the most about exactly where to make changes in their businesses by “listening” to their consumers. Dave McCoy explained to me the explanation he would stand upcoming to the line commonly at chair 1 in which persons were loading was simply because they would explain to him what necessary enhancement. Walt Disney did effectively the same thing by obtaining his business office on Most important St. just inside Disneyland so he could enjoy guests behaviors and see what wanted improvement. Implementing what their spending customers advised them aided them refine their visitor’s working experience to the optimum degrees.
10) Equally men left enduring legacies of great, clean, family entertaining by bringing pleasure to millions of website visitors.
Dave McCoy told me that he and Walt Disney satisfied just about every other in the early 1950’s. Walt would carry his family to appear snowboarding at Mammoth Mountain, and had a cabin in the vicinity of the Mammoth Mountain Inn. Walt also invited Dave and his family members down to his studios in Burbank for a distinctive check out.
Walt Disney and Dave McCoy will go down in record as currently being adult men who followed their enthusiasm to have exciting, and designed resorts that hundreds of hundreds of website visitors even now appreciate day by day. Sadly, Walt Disney left us far too shortly by contracting cancer from the cigarettes he began smoking cigarettes in the armed forces.
Dave McCoy is nonetheless going solid, and just celebrated his 96th birthday this last August. He is continue to quite lively in his assignments. He spends time capturing lovely images of the Japanese Sierra that he has loved since he was a boy, and performing on his solar/electric powered Rhino. My most loved pics I have bought from Dave McCoy Photo are:
1) Dave’s latest shot of a attractive rainbow over Gull Lake with Carson Peak in the history.
2) The legendary shot of Dave McCoy snowboarding under Gravy Chute taken by Warren Miller that is on the wall at McCoy Station as you load the gondola.
If you appreciate Mammoth Mountain and the Japanese Sierra, I am going to wager you will love Dave McCoy’s images as considerably as I do. Correct now, Dave McCoy will even sign your photo for you, which would make it collectible as properly as pleasing art!